- May 20, 2020
- Posted in Lab Testing Trends
Prognos is analyzing lab testing trends in 2020 and more specifically, looking at the impact of COVID-19 on testing trends at a national level.
Methodology: A large representative sample from the Prognos lab testing registry was pulled as a proxy for a national volume of testing. Then trends are compared on a weekly basis year-to-date.
Week ending May 8th, 2020
- After the first week of January which is typically 40% of the typical weekly volume due to holidays leading up to New Years Day, the national trend in testing was relatively stable through the week ending 3/13/20.
- There were expected slight dips in January and February due to national holidays (MLK/President’s Day).
- Over the two-week period ending 3/27, the national trend decreased 23% and 38% weekly, for an overall drop of 53% over those two weeks.
- Since then, the market trend has stabilized and showing signs of recovery with three consecutive weeks of double-digit percentage increases. Data from the most recent period (week ending 5/8) shows an increase with a 21% increase over the prior week.
- Based on these trends, five weeks of stable or increasing trends, indications are there that the national lab testing volume is rebounding.
For more information on the regional and local level, or a specific test or brand, contact us.