- July 2, 2020
- Posted in Lab Testing Trends
Prognos is analyzing lab testing trends in 2020 and more specifically, looking at the impact of COVID-19 on testing trends at a national level.
Methodology: A large representative sample from the Prognos lab testing registry was pulled as a proxy for a national volume of testing. Then trends are compared on a weekly basis year-to-date.
Week ending June 26, 2020
- For 2020, the national trend in testing was initially stable through the week ending 3/13/20.
- There were expected drops in January and February due to holidays (MLK/President’s Day).
- Over the two-week period ending 3/27, the national trend decreased 24% and 40% weekly, for an overall drop of 54% over those two weeks.
- Since then, the market trend has stabilized and showing signs of recovery with a steady trend of increases. Data from the most recent period (week ending 6/26) shows an increase of 2% over the prior week.
- In comparing the most recent week’s volume to same week in the previous year, the this week’s national trend exceeded last year’s volume for the same week by 13%.
For the most recent period (week ending 6/26) testing trends showed an 2% increase over the prior week.
The national trend over the most recent annual period (4/19 – 6/20) shows a stable weekly trend, with dips associated with holidays. Testing for the week of 6/26/20 is 2% higher than prior week.
For more information on the regional and local level, or a specific test or brand, contact us.